Friday, January 27, 2012

13/1/12

For a few months now, there's been this niggling thought... Gosh, I don't even want to write it down because it's so bad. The thought is that maybe God isn't as all-powerful as He likes us to believe. Even as I sit here typing this I'm cringing in my mind, mentally preparing to be struck by lightning at any second for daring to underestimate GOD.

Let me explain my reasoning though. There have been some Bible stories that I've read through (I couldn't find any specific examples right this second, but I'll update when I do) where it seems like God didn't know something and needed the humans to tell Him what's in their hearts or... I can't remember. I really wish I could remember the particular story that got me first thinking about this, but it was months ago and I haven't thought of it since because I'm just so terrified of offending God by thinking about this too hard. But anyway, I started to wonder, is God really as all-powerful as I've been taught all these years? And then that led to the question, Does the Bible actually say anything about God being omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? Where?

Anyway, the thing that brought the question back up in my mind is actually Satan. I mean, Lucifer was God's top angel. We look at his decision to turn on God and think, Wow, that's so stupid. How on earth did he ever think he was going to win that battle? What an idiot. And look at him even now, still trying to trump God and using us humans to do it.

Only it doesn't make sense. Satan was a lot of things. Arrogant and conceited, definitely. But not stupid. You don't get to be God's top angel by being stupid. So then why would he think that he could win a battle for the universe against God? Look at Hitler. He was evil, outright. But again, not stupid. In fact, he came a lot closer to his goal than any of us would like to admit.

Lucifer obviously must have thought that he had some kind of advantage over God, some way that He could win. But if God is even half as all-powerful as I've been taught, then it just doesn't make sense. I feel like I'm missing a huge chunck of this story, and I can't figure out where the gap is.

I'm just so confused...

No comments:

Post a Comment